Helping you prepare if the UK leaves the EU
We would like to outline the requirements to facilitate a smooth export and/or import of your shipments in and out of Europe, in the instance that the UK departs the European Union (EU).
A point that is important to consider and which we would like to outline is the potential pressure on our clients, on freight forwarders and customs brokers should the UK leave the EU without a deal in place.
Goods currently flow relatively freely between the UK and the EU. If the UK leaves the EU there will be an additional level of complexity and administration.
Downloadable below are two booking forms (imports / exports), these indicate the data that we require, to perform export and import Custom entries on your behalf. Given the amount of potential extra work involved post the UK leaving the EU, we are asking our clients to provide all this information when sending booking details, which we hope also provides some focus on what, you, our client, will have to prepare to satisfy UK and EU authorities, post a hard BREXIT.
As your forwarding agent, we also require the following information within the booking email:
- Copy of commercial invoice for imports and exports (at this stage Pro-Forma invoices will not be accepted).
- Master Reference Number (MRN) if you are arranging your own import/export entry but using our consolidation or full load services.
- Confirmation of UK Customs agent if not using our services.
- Details of Deferment account, for the payment of import taxes, if applicable and if not instructing us to perform this service which we can offer at a small fee.
- If you wish us to arrange Import Customs clearances using your own Duty Deferment account, you will need to provide written authorisation by entering your Deferment Approval number on the “Authority for a Customs Clearance Agent to act as a Direct representative” form.
- Customs Procedure Codes (CPC).
- Complete (once only) the Authority for a Customs Clearance Agent to act as a Direct
- Representative. The document must be returned on your letter headed paper, as our customer and principle. Click here to download the document
An active EORI number (Economic Registration and Identification) is needed for customs clearance for all imports and exports. If you do not currently have an EORI you will need to apply now. It is free to apply and takes only a few minutes to complete the application here: www.gov.uk/eori
Transitional Simplified Procedure (TSP)
If you import goods from EU to the UK, you can register for Transitional Simplified Procedure (TSP).
Businesses can register for TSP if they:
- have an EORI number
- are established in the UK
- are importing goods from the EU into the UK
- To register, click here
Our advice – over prepare
Whilst we believe that the processes may be relaxed even following a hard BREXIT, we are recommending to our customers to follow these instructions to be overly prepared and to provide us with every piece of information to facilitate the processing of your shipments with the minimal of delay.